Thursday, August 25, 2016

Reflections of a parent

Two things struck me hard as a parent today. The first was when we drove past Rachel's home early this morning. I kind of recalled that her birthday was coming up knowing that it was close to Sarah's own birthday.

As we drove past, I was brought back to the day when I was last at the house. On the day of her funeral after she was brought home from Kinabalu. It struck me how the parents may be feeling now. knowing that their daughter is frozen in time to be forever 11 years never to celebrate her birthday ever again. And it made me appreciate the fact that I still have my children with me. To lose your child is the most painful thing a parent could ever go through. I cannot imagine the pain.

My visit to AWWA in the afternoon brought abt the second reflection for the day about parenting. I saw the beauty of the children there coupled with the challenges it posed. As I stood there watching the parents send their children to the school , it struck me how much the kids are loved and cared for. That their disability did not make them less loved. They are not easy to love not easy to care for.

I was struck by the sharing by a parent on how they are challenged each day even to bring the child out. As they face the stares of others
And how we need to develop inclusion of society so that others do not bat an eyelid when they see a child with disability.
Caring for a child with disability is hard enough. Why do we then make it even harder for them? When we ostracize them and make a wide berth around them.

Parenting is hard enough

No comments: