Friday, December 07, 2012

Got kissed by the chicken?

Tasnym is down with chicken pox.  I was quite suspicious when I first saw the marks on her body but quickly dismissed my initial thoughts as she was immunised against it and she did not have any marks on her tummy/chest. No fever too.

We spent the day in USS and there we met my cousin who quickly said that it appeared to be chicken pox. A quick check down her t-shirt showed one red spot on her chest. So off to the doctor we went after contaminating USS, and he confirmed the diagnosis.  He said that it was mild as she was immunised but caught it as she did not get a booster.  Thing is I do not recall him telling me of the need for any boosters.  So possibility of Daniah and Sarah getting it is there too since they too were immunised but no boosters.  I too have no way of separating them. Anyway, its too late!

This is the same girl who would refuse to take any kind of medication. And she refused to have the cream applied beyond that one time cos it was itching too much.  Miracle cream though it was as the marks dried up so fast and stopped itching.  I can still remember my time suffering from chicken pox with calamine lotion all over but offering scant relief.  My mum then found this leaf, which I have no memory of what its called, that was pounded and made into a paste to be applied to all the marks.  I am still left with one massive crater on the tip of my nose from the pox. And the agony of having to stay home for two whole weeks! This girl will probably just stay home for a week at most.

The girls have been asking why it is called chicken pox. I have no clue! The papa told her its cos she got kissed by a chicken in the night, ha ha!

So how did chicken pox get its name? And isnt it interesting that despite years and years of being around, no cure has been found.  The medication you get alleviates the symptoms but does not rid the person of the virus, same as HFMD.  I think the scientists are spending too much time on cancer and the big diseases that not many wants to spend time on these other 'lighter diseases'. Its supposed to be contagious a day or two before you see the spots and remains contagious until the scabs form.

To think of it though, many of western medicine serve to just alleviate symptoms and not deal with the virus itself...

No comments: